Creating Stylized VFX in Unreal Engine 5
Niagara & Substance Designer Workflow With Pawel Margacz
Discover how to create visual effects for games using the most up-to-date techniques in Unreal Engine 5 with Senior VFX Artist at People Can Fly, Pawel Margacz. Learn Pawel’s complete workflow for creating magical spell FX for UE5 from scratch: Using meshes from Houdini and textures in Substance Designer, Pawel assembles a magical projectile in Niagara, demonstrating how to match character and effects animations to create a dynamic, game-ready attack in Unreal 5.
This 4.5-hour workshop is ideal for anyone interested in learning more about creating VFX using Unreal Engine, Houdini, and Substance Designer. It is also an excellent guide for technical artists looking to gain more insight into VFX implementation using blueprints, including how to create and set up Unreal scenes with characters. In addition, Pawel dives deep into Substance Designer's and Niagara's nodes to build up layers of easily-adjustable effects animations. He shares how to work with panning textures with UV distortion techniques, as well as how to use tileable noise textures. He also details the timing and matching of effects with character animations.
This workshop provides Pawel’s textures and 3D mesh files as a downloadable resource.
Duration: 294 Minutes
Format: HD 1920x1080
- 00. Preview
- 01. Introduction
- 02. Finding & Analyzing References
- 03. Unreal Engine 5 Scene Setup
- 04. Characters Setup
- 05. Lighting & Post-Process Setup
- 06. Creating 3D Meshes in Houdini
- 07. Creating Textures
- 08. Materials for the Projectile — Part 1
- 09. Materials for the Projectile — Part 2
- 10. Creating Projectile VFX Using Niagara
- 11. Creating Impact VFX in Niagara
- 12. Creating Cast Effects Using Niagara
- 13. Implementing VFX in Blueprints
- 14. Ideas for Taking Effects Further
- 15. Developing Your VFX Skills Further